Tuesday, January 19, 2010

So they weren't just making this stuff up.

So this past weekend we found ourselves on the road again. Our daughter, Chickpea seems to have quite socail calendar at the ripe age of 19 months, and was invited to a birthday party in St. Pete. So there we where, getting ready Saturday morning (and might I add the coldest morning Orlando had seen in a long time). So after getting everything together and checking for a second and third time, me, hubby and Chickpea found ourselves St. Pete bound for cake, ice cream, fun and friends.

At least that what I thought. It had to be only about 20 minutes into the drive, and Chickpea was not having it as she starting to buck in her car seat like a prized rodeo bronco. I had to think fast as to how I was going to remedy a potentially painful drive to St. Pete. After trying literally everything in my bag of tricks with no results. I found myself beginning to fantasize about Edward Cullen (for all you Twilight moms), and the perfect dirty martini, and then it came to me. A solution that is.

Something so simple(I thought this couldn't possible work), but I was desperate so what the hell. So you are probably wondering what is this simple miracle that I was praying would work. No, not a large dose on Benadryl, but rather warm milk. Now don't tell me that your mother or grandmother never offered this remedy to you as a child, or even as an adult when you just simply could not relax or worse fall asleep.

So I gave it a try, and hooked Chickpea up with a sippy cup of warm milk. And you know what? IT WORKED!!! Shortly thereafter Chickpea calmed down and drifted off to sleep for the rest of drive to St. Pete. So just in case you missed the tip, here it is again. WARM MILK WORKS!

And just in case you are like myself, and have to know why or how something works here it goes. It turns out that warm formula, breastmilk and cows milk all contain an amino acid called Tryptophan (pronounced Trip-toe-fan) that aides in relaxation and sleep. In addition Tryptophan is a precursor to nuerochemicals like, serotonin and melatonin which are important for sleep. So the next time you have a little one that is having trouble calming down or sleeping during your next trip give the old standard a try (aka. warm milk )and see if it works for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment